Sunday, March 14, 2010

The Kamikaze Cook #12 Cheesy, Broccoli, Ham with Rice

So, I was craving something cheesy but I also wanted to have something with some kind of vegetable in it too. I fell back on a dish that you can (almost) buy in a package only I made it from scratch, however halfway through I realized I didn't have any milk! I had to come up with something or my dinner would be ruined! Check it out.

Cook instant rice in microwave. While cooking, chop up fresh broccoli. On low heat, melt butter. When melted, add some white flour. Now, normally you would add milk here (this is for a cheese sauce) but I used up all the milk this morning with my cereal! So....I had some vanilla flavored yogurt in the fridge and I dumped some in a bowl and added some water to thin it out. It worked and the cheese sauce was saved! After adding "milk" I added chopped cheese (grated melts faster but I was lazy) garlic granules and tarragon. While the cheese is melting in the sauce and after the rice is done in the micro, place broccoli in microwave with loose top. You may want to add just a teaspoon or so of water. Micro for 1 to 1:10 minutes until bright green. Don't overcook!!! I also added some diced maple flavored ham for more protein. Micro for just 30 seconds or so until warm. Combine all ingredients and enjoy!

Note: You can basically use any kind of cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, colby) but I recommend staying away from stringy cheese like mozzarella for this dish as it is difficult to handle when melted and kind of slimy.

No comments:

Post a Comment