Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Kamikaze Cook- Tip (Flavor Hogs!)

There are certain varieties of food which I've deemed "flavor hogs". What do I mean by that? Their flavor is so intense that it often overrides any other flavor in a dish.

A few examples:
red bell pepper, banana, raw onion, peanut butter, blue cheese....

There are many more items that tend to be "flavor hogs" and I'm sure you've come across them on your own. My solution? Use them sparingly. Even if a recipe calls for a larger quantity of these items (and you all know how I feel about recipies anyway- just a guideline) I always cut that by at least half.

The bottom line is that you can make your dish whatever you want it to be. Don't be bound by what's on a recipe card. Feel free to explore, try new things, add more of what you want (for me it's always cheese) and take out what you don't want. There are no wrong answers in cooking- only lessons of what not to make again!

No comments:

Post a Comment