Saturday, July 17, 2010

The Kamikaze Cook #27 Colorful Raw/Vegan Dish


Once again I find myself hungry at a late hour but since I'm trying to avoid anything with white flour and simple sugar/carbs I'm having to be inventive in my choices since I simply don't go to sleep hungry....keeps me awake.

I made a beautiful dish which took, literally, five minutes and it's so beautiful that I photographed it before digging in.

Green Leaf Lettuce leaf (you can use any kind you want: collard, romaine, red leaf..)
Sliced mango
Sliced avocado
Marinated red cabbage (recipe below)

See! Simple and yummy!!! Very good for you too.

If you've never been to the North Woods Inn, you're missing out. They're known for their marinated red cabbage and cheese bread. You should check them out.

North Woods Inn Marinated Red Cabbage:
1/2 cup vegetable or oil oil
1/2 cup plus 2 T red wine vinegar
3 T sugar
1/2 head red cabbage, sliced very thinly
salt to taste
1/4 t black pepper
1/4 t onion powder

I'm sure I don't have to say it, but I will- I varied this recipe. I did not use pepper or onion powder, I used sea salt instead of table salt and I didn't have any sugar so I used honey. I think this was delicious as I made it. I let it sit in the fridge for over 24 hrs before I even tried it and it's wonderful!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment