Thursday, September 2, 2010

The Kamikaze Cook #34 Popovers


"What the heck is a popover?", you might ask. I didn't know either. My best description is that it's closely related to a quiche, but more "doughy".

I found a recipe in one of those "recipes included!" mystery books they have out called "Key Lime Pie Murder". The original recipe is close to my post called "Easy Quiche". When I made this however, I felt it was kind of drab, (even with a pound of butter on them), so I "Kamikazeized" it!

Original recipe: (this can be doubled or halved)
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
1/2t salt

MY version:
2 eggs
1 cup of milk plus a bit more (like 1/8-1/4 cup)
1 cup flour
1t salt
garlic powder
basil
parmesan cheese
grated sharp cheddar cheese
grated zucchini (not too much)

Using 1/4 cup measuring cup, pour into muffin tins. Bake at 450 for 17 to 30 minutes depending on depth of mix. Do not overbake. I baked these for 17 minutes and they were lightly brown on top and fluffy. When you remove from the oven, use a sharp knife and cut the tops to release the steam.

What can I say? These made enough for breakfast or lunch tomorrow too and they're quite tasty!

2 comments: